Uganda Visa application Requirements and immigration Tips
Welcome to our exhaustive and informative guide for Visas in Uganda, the guide elaborately points out all information on visa requirements, tourist visa, exempted countries, classes and entry permits as well as immigration guidelines.
Uganda is increasing becoming a popular tourist destination which has made visa acquisition for visitors a lot simpler.
What is a visa?
A visa, also known as a travel visa, entry visa or foreign entry visa allows a person from one country to travel to the port-of-entry of another country and request permission of an immigration inspector to enter.
It is important to understand that having a visa in your passport does not guarantee that you will be granted permission to enter the country you plan to visit. This is left to the discretion of the officer at the port-of-entry who will examine your travel documents.
What does a Uganda visa look like?
The Uganda visa is printed on special paper with embedded security features. The visa has a great deal of information and is adhered to the visa page of the traveler’s passport.
How to Get a Visa to Uganda
A visa to Uganda can be obtained on entry into Uganda at the entry point such as Entebbe Airport or any border station; this makes entry into Uganda very easy especially for tourists. The applicant has to pay USD 50, fill in the application form with passport details. The visa fee of USD 50 usually runs for 90 days.
You can also get a visa by applying online if you a citizen of the following countries, USA, UK, Germany, China, Russia, South Africa, Japan, Italy, India, France, Denmark, Canada, and Belgium. All you need to do is to download the visa application here or from the embassy website of your country of origin. You will need to attach 2 passport photos.
Tourist Visa To Uganda
All tourists to Uganda are kindly requested to comply with the requirements below before they can get a visa to Uganda.
- Every traveler must have a valid passport of nationality or origin issued by their Government.
- It’s safer to have the International Inoculation Certificate against yellow fever
- Present valid passport to the Immigration officer at port of entry
- You may also be asked to show your return ticket. This is usually not asked.
Uganda visa exempted Countries
The Grenadines Islands
Student Visa to Uganda
Primary & Secondary Schools
- Obtain and fill student pass forms
- Provide covering letter from school addressed to Commissioner Immigration Control Department
- Attach copies of parents’ passports
- Provide copy of parents’ immigration status e.g. work permit if parents are residents in Uganda
- For applicants whose parents do not live/ work in Uganda, applicants should provide:
- Letter from parents acknowledging relationship of the resident guardian and child/ student in the country
- Consent / covering letter from guardian addressed to the Commissioner Immigration Control Department
- Immigration status of host/ guardian e.g. work permit or Uganda passport
- Covering letter from school to immigration department indicating year of admission and duration of study.
- Provide covering letter from training institution addressed to Commissioner Immigration Control Department
- Provide admission letter from training institution
- Attach identification card issued by institution of learning
- Students undertaking postgraduate programs should provide copies of previous academic qualifications.
- All immigrants in Uganda should respect and oblige with national immigration laws, guidelines and formalities.
- Visas & Student passes do not permit gainful or voluntary employment in Uganda.
- All East African Community nationals studying or seeking to study in Uganda must obtain student passes from designated immigration offices.
- Student Passes for EAC nationals are issued at NO COST. Other nationals should pay the Visa fees in the bank.
- Study must be undertaken from only approved and licensed training establishments.